Friday, February 26, 2010

Talking Point #3

"Gayness, Multicultural Education, and Community" by Dennis Carlson is similar to articles our class has read. A lot of articles were about white privilege which is whites vs. non-whites. This article talks about heterosexuals vs. homosexuals which is similar to whites vs. non-whites except this argument can involve any race.

I like how Carlson began this article. Very shortly after he began, he stated he was using the term gay because it was politically correct and it did not segregate between homosexual men and women. Whereas if he used the terms lesbian and gay, he would clearly be distinguishing and he wants to unite all homosexuals. He believes this will make the gay community stronger.

I think it is interesting that Carlson brings gay bars into this article. At first I was like why is this in here? I now understand that when homosexuality was looked down upon severely, gay bars were the only place for people to turn to. The analogy the author uses helps to understand completely. He says it was like when blacks were segregated and only had their churches to turn to.

In schools a researcher named James Sears found out several things about how teachers conduct themselves about homosexuality. One teacher "went out of his way" to not teach poems by a writer because he was gay and his poems expressed sexual content. Another teacher said she was keeping her opinions to herself when the topic turned to AIDs and homosexuality. He found many teachers spoke badly of homosexuality and wanted to stamp it out of people.

I found all of this very intriguing but I could not figure out was his final point was except for the fact that everyone needs to listen, accept one another and homosexual must not be afraid and find their voice. I feel Carlson made a bigger point but I must have missed it. I believe no one should feel oppressed because of their race, gender, sexual preference or disability. To go with the theme of the article, sexual preference should not be looked down upon because scientists are starting to prove it is not a choice.

4 comments:

  1. Mike,
    I like how you brough out the point that he didnt differ between lesbian and gay in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    I like your point about the gay bars, when I saw that I, like you, wondered why that would be in an article dealing with education. Carlson's comparison really made it understandable and it kind of surprised me. It was never something I myself would have thought of and now that its in my mind it makes so much more sense. Gay bars were really the only place they had to turn to be around more LGBT and to be themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea the topic of gay bars was surprsing to me as well. But your right mike, that must feel like "church" to them because it must seem like the only place gays aren't treated like dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im jumping on the band wagon about the gay bars. it really made me think about how heterosexuals seem to be able to go anywhere but homosexuals are limited in places they can truly be open and accepted

    ReplyDelete