Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cindy's Strategy

Homosexuality can sometimes be a sticky issue to talk about. When our class discussed how or if to present this in classrooms, our class seemed a lot more quiet than usual. Personally I do not have a problem with it. The problem comes later in life when I have kids and I have to choose what to say to them and how to phrase it. Thanks to Cindy in FNED 346 I will now use what I deem "Cindy's Strategy".

What exactly is "Cindy's Strategy"? This is a term I coined after hearing a story in class. Cindy was watching Ellen Degeneres with her daughter. Ellen, as you may know, is gay and is married to a woman. Cindy's daughter asked her what Ellen was doing married to a woman. Cindy responded with the answer "That is who she fell in love with so that is who she married". Cindy's daughter then asked if she could marry a woman. Again Cindy replied with "If that is who you fall in love with". I feel this is an excellent way for kids to learn about homosexuality. If more parents were like Cindy the world would be a much more understanding one. As for me, I will always remember "Cindy's Strategy" and use it when it is time to teach my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment