Friday, March 26, 2010

Its not my rule

Yesterday we talked in class about our Service Learning. A lot of good stories were told. I am sure every group will do fine on their final project due to the great connections that were made. One of the stories I heard really bemused me. That story was told by Beth.

Beth's story was quite bizarre. She told us that a lot of the time when the teacher at her SL school wants the kids to follow a rule she says "It is Obamas rule not mine". I tried to analyze why she would say this. Most of the things I thought were said in class. The thought I immediately had was she was using Obama as a scapegoat. This way the children could not blame her for having so many rules. In class I connected it to Christensen which makes sense to me. Kids will not want to disobey their idol and many kids look up to Obama. They would much rather listen to him than her so maybe he is not a scapegoat but rather a reinforcer to make sure the kids listen. The last thought I had was not brought up in class and I did not bring it up because it is kind of radical. The teacher may be an extreme nationalist/patriot. Maybe she is trying to instill in the kids that they always have to listen to the President because they are Americans. She may be making sure kids do not grow up to resent government or the President. No matter what the answer is, it is sure bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment